Monday 11 February 2019

In the beginning . . . . . .

Welcome to my blog! 


These pages are intended to document the installation of a Boeing 737 MAX fixed base flight simulator in a residential property in Aberdeen, Scotland.

I have long been keen on having a home flight simulator and always intended to build one myself, possibly as a retirement project. Unfortunately, I suffered a life changing injury in 2012 which means that I am no longer able to contemplate building my own from scratch, but, now that I am in retirement, I am still as keen as ever to own one. The main impact of this is that it will come at a higher cost than I had intended since I will need to procure a "turn-key" product, more than likely from a single supplier.

The other significant change is that I will be remodelling my home to adapt it for my long term needs. Although my wife and I considered selling up and moving into a more suitable property, we decided that the current location of our home could not be easily beaten and we wanted to stay in the same place if at all possible. Initially, the planned changes to the property were going to take the form of a large extension and additional modifications to other areas of the property. Even without considering space for a simulator room, the cost of this "remodelling" was going to be significant; we were going to spend a large amount of money to end up with a property that was always going to be a compromise. For that reason, although the costs will be much higher, we decided that we are going to demolish the existing structure and rebuild a new house to our exact specifications.

Having decided that a rebuild was on the cards, the addition of a dedicated simulator room became a more practical option. After considerable procrastination and some difficulty in selecting a suitable architect, we finally engaged the architect in December 2018. We are now working with the architect on the design  - which will include my simulator 😀

Disclaimer !

Bear in mind that anything that you read on this blog should probably be taken with a very large pinch of salt! If you stick with it, you will no doubt soon find out that I am not an expert in any of the subject matter contained here. My comments are based on my very limited knowledge and the implementation of a simulator in my particular environment.

It is written in that hope that others may find it useful, make of it what you will, feel free to comment and/or point out the factual errors that are bound to occur as the content expands.

Stay tuned to see how things develop . . . . .

Dave, February 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment